Data Showcasing Alternative Data
- White Paper(s) that validate the alpha in the data set and independently prove vendor research whitepapers.
- Functioning Backtest Algorithms that allow quants to see the backtesting logic.
- Quantitative Experts who can discuss the use of the data set.
- Access to the institutional grade Mariner(tm) Backtesting and Visualization tools used by other professional quantitative portfolio managers.
- Time synched historical tick market data.
- Dataset Catalog – Entries for each dataset with Showcase Partners data being featured above other data sets.
The Difficulties Of Dataset Onboarding
The industry knows that the onboarding a new data set is a difficult process. There are numerous problems that include*:
- Data not compatible with current data analysis systems
- Can’t find the correct resource
- Lack of time
- Difficulty understanding the data’s value
- Human Capital not available
- Management not convinced of the value
- Prohibitively High Fees
For those in the trading industry, we have additional problems that include:
- Difficulty symbology mapping.
- Dealing with point-in-time changes to symbol changes.
- Correlating time series data correctly.
*Source: Greenwich Associates, Alternative Data Usage Study, 2017